First time fishing tips
Dolphin Sport-fishing is a luxurious half day fishing vessel located at Fisherman's Landing in Point Loma. The following information will provide you with a better understanding of what you can expect during your trip.
What to bring with you?
- You will be exposed to the sun during most of your trip. Even when conditions are overcast, the Sun's UV rays will still penetrate through the cloud cover and can still cause sunburn. A combination of sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat will provide you with protection from the sun. Long sleeve shirts are also a good idea.
Clothing & Footwear
- We suggest that you bring a sweater for the morning and afternoon trip. It can get a little chilly on the boat at times.
- Shoes or boots with good grip are highly recommended.
Food & Drink
- The Dolphin has a great galley on board that offers a variety of hot food, snacks and beverages. You may bring your own food and snacks inside of a backpack if you like.
- 1 Day California Fishing License's are available for purchase at the landing upon check in for $14.86. Annual California fishing license's are also available for $51.58 (California Residents) at our tackle shop.
Tackle Rentals (available at the Landing)
- Tackle rentals are available from the Charter & Ticket office for $13 per person. This package includes a twenty five pound setup (rod & reel), 4 hooks, and 1 four ounce sinker. The deckhands on the boat will tie up your hooks and weight once you are on the boat.
Fillet Service (On the boat)
- At the end of your trip a fillet service will be offered for those who want their fish filleted. The cost per fillet is usually a dollar per fish. A deckhand will come around on the way back in and ask you if you would like your fish filleted.
Bait (Included with ticket)
- Live bait (Sardines &/or Anchovies) and frozen squid will be provided on the boat.